Minolta "Crossed X" 50mm 1.7 and 70-210 "Beercan"

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
Re: Minolta "Crossed X" 50mm 1.7 and 70-210 "Beercan"
In reply to StayClassy, Feb 12, 2013

StayClassy wrote:

Just bought a 50mm 1.7 and 70-210 "Beercan" off eBay, and when I was looking back at the post, both lenses had the crossed "x" logo on the front. I hear that these are rare? I bought both of them for $90 and they were in their box for years from what the seller told me. They actually come with their boxes.

-- hide signature --

When people ask me whether I'm a photographer, I tell them that I'm more of a time artist. After all, my art is my ability to freeze time and capture a moment forever.

These are rare, and rarer yet in good working condition. These are from the first batch of lenses that Minolta made, as they were sued by Exxon shortly after(as mentioned by another poster as well).

What this really means is these lenses are as old as Minolta Maxxum AF lenses get, and the risk of getting one with oily blades or other defects is through the roof. I buy/sell camera gear on eBay professionally and my success rate with "XX" lenses is significantly lower than with the updated logo versions.

Because of this, if you get one that is legitimately in excellent condition with no functional issues, they are worth more. In box with manuals will be sought after by collectors, and you may be able to get as much as 50% more for them than a regular version.

$90 for the two is a very good price, a mint "XX" 50/1.7 in box could sell for $150, and a mint "XX" beercan in box could sell for $250, maybe even $300 if it really was in perfect condition. Its hard to find beercans in anything better than "very good" condition as most were well used throughout the years. So yeah, rarity and condition plays a big role in worth.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow