Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
eddyshoots
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 12, 2013

BrewLab wrote:

I was shooting birds at a local refuge yesterday, minding my own business, when a guy with a Canon and a big white lens looked at me and says, "Sony, huh? Just make sure you don't take that around any real photographers." HUH?!? So I responded, "Well, change is scary. BTW, at least you're smart enough to admit you're not a real photographer." Then I fired off 12fps as a duck zipped past us. LOL!!

Hmmm. "smart enough to admit you're not a real photographer" Yeah, that's the way to direct a conversation to birds, technique or gear.

That was my first real life experience with the Canikon bias. Unbelievable. Rather than ask about my camera, talk shop or even better....just say nothing...he chose to bash both my gear AND my photography skills in one fell swoop. I didn't want to believe it, but they're really out there.

Trevor

I shoot Nikon but am one of those guys that couldn't give a flying f*&k about brands. I really don't get those that feel the need to talk up their gear because it's so great nor do I understand those that get overly defensive about their gear (Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?...Trevor?).

As I said above I don't much care about gear but if someone pulls out a Canon camera beside me at an event I'm probably going to make a smart arssed comment of some sort. I've been on the receiving end of this many times, too. It always just ends up in a laugh between two photographers who really know there's no real difference between systems. It's kind of like the Ford vs. Chevy debates that rage over beers all the time. Now, if one party in the conversation has exceptionally thin skin then maybe it'll end up being a thread on DPReview or pickuptrucks.com.

OK, teasing aside (deservedly so, I think). I'm obviously not privy to the accompanying tone of the Canon shooter (or from Trevor) but I can hardly imagine it being anything other than good natured teasing. Does anyone here really think this guy was actually bashing Trevor's gear AND photography skills because there was a Sony label on the front of his camera? Don't be silly.

Now my turn to have a little fun, "Sony huh, eight track or cassette?".

-- hide signature --

eddyshoots

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow