Just one version of Windows 8?

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
KAllen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,732Gear list
Like?
Re: Start8, C.Shell, also StartIsBack
In reply to CAcreeks, Feb 12, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

KAllen, another alternative would be to buy Windows 7 and install it as a virtual machine on your Mac. Then you could sell the Windows8 system to somebody who wants it.

Concerning Bob's fine advice, a reviewer at ArsTechnica rated StartIsBack as the #1 choice above Start8, and didn't like Classic Shell. (Opinions are like etc.)

Bob Collette wrote:

Many people (myself included) are less than enamored with the Win8 "Metro" interface. Fortunately, there's a solution for that. Download and install either Classic Shell (free) or Start8 (small fee). They will give you an interface that is much more like the older versions of Windows. My preference is for Classic Shell. Not only is it free, but it gives you a lot more customizing options.

I'm just running one program on the windows system, it's streaming data. I don't want it running in the background on my Mac's. The machine was bought just for this one purpose.

Not wishing to knock the Windows system (but I'm going too:-) ), it still feels outdated compared with the Mac, still clunky but it now wears a veneer of modernity that quite frankly is awful.

I've got a bit more use to it, but I don't find it pleasant even when I get rid of the advertising screen.

No doubt some of that is because I'm just not use to it.

Thanks all,

Kevin.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow