X-E1 vs. 5D MKIII non-scientific comparison...

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021Gear list
Like?
Re: Indeed
In reply to NumberOne, Feb 12, 2013

NumberOne wrote:

shigzeo ? wrote:

Midwest wrote:

Bernie Ess wrote:

The point of using the X-E1 is to use a small, light, beautiful camera

A beautiful camera is important.

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

Unless you are using sarcasm, I agree. Most of today's cameras are simply too bulky, too full of unnecessary buttons, and have no labels to be beautiful.

...Some have indeed unnecessary (not often used) buttons; I don't think labels - most of the time tied to the manufacturers logos/marketing/prestige can be considered a beautiful/elegant touch, though...

When you say most of today's cameras are simply to bulky, you are surely referring to pro cameras. Most of today "normal" cameras are quite ergonomic and much better designed - from an ergonomic point of view - than yesterday ones...

I think we have heaps of agreeing points. However, by ergonomics, I refer to: knowing settings whether the camera is on or off; being small and light; having a body that is supported by the palm of the hand when gripped, not by the fingers (as 'gripped' cameras like D800 are). I actually find the X-Pro 1 quite ugly. But its control scheme for photographic stuff (aperture (not necessary if you use manual lenses), exposure, shutter button and general lack of inefficient menu-driven buttons, a boon.

Fuji's new cameras are designed to be used, not designed to be researched. All the controls are well-labelled and easy to suss, while the controls for my Nikon D800 have no labels except for ISO, WB, QUAL (whatever that is) and a few other hardly-touched buttons.

Fuji's design is beautiful and as a modern camera, the most functional yet. Beautiful design is incredibly important. If it gets in the way of shooting because of faulty or ugly design, it serves a disservice.

Sorry, but I disagree in what the Fujis are concerned... Not that they are ugly, but many details are faulty, IMO; I also wonder why the fuss about retro/revivalist design. Most of the time it doesn't gives you better ergonomics. Beauty, on the other hand, although desirable, is not a must, "per si"; I would certainly opt by timeless, instead...

Had I never used an FM2/FE prior to my foray into digital, I'd probably have gone along with this viewpoint. But the FE/FM2 use the same lenses as the D800 does, and it has no grip. But after a day of holding/shooting, the FE/FM body style is simply much less fatiguing for me because the camera isn't supported by the fingers as is the grip of the D800. The body rests in the palm.

Now, I understand how the gun-shape of the D800 grip should be more comfortable. But, it is less secure than the FE body unless you really really squeeze and then, it still has little to no support from the palm of the hand unless you hold very low.

I'll give you (just) three examples:

1 - The grip could be much more prominent - after all it's supposed to be comfortable for holding the camera body - and wouldn't increase the pocket-ability too much; people always forget there is a much more cumbersome lens - or zoom - protruding the camera body...

You have a point. I simply don't use zooms. If I did, I may prefer the grip as it prevents the hand from moving. Still, however, I find the D800 even to be far less comfortable than a D200. Lenses are always large (if you use SLR), but my most used lens are the size of the 18mm from Fuji, a 35/2 Canon ltm lens. For digital, I use a 28/2,8 AiS lens and a 50/2 Ai lens, both of which are small. Still, I prefer to hold the camera with my palm, with fingers wrapped around the body than the grip. Today's cameras are made for AF zooms. For primes, they are a pain - for me.

2 - The tripod attachment thread/screw is off-axis from the sensor - a total nonsense for photography, i.e., panorama shots - and to close to the battery/sd card compartment making it impossible to open when attached to a tripod/tripod plate...

We can agree with that. My D800 has the same problem. The tripod access is fine, but the battery door is always blocked by the tripod block.

3 - All the buttons at the left of the LCD Monitor would be much accessible/friendly if placed on the right side where your right thumb could easily reach them...

I am not as acqauinted with the X-Pro as you are... I also don't own the camera. But, as it mimics the FE body more closely, and after using it extensively at certain gatherings, I can say unequivocally that, unless you are using large zooms, the idea that modern 'grips' are more ergonomically correct assumes that you never interact with your camera whilst shooting.

Again, primarily I use Ai/S and LTM lenses, the latter are small lenses the X would swallow up. With those lenses, you are constantly changing aperture, focusing, and interacting with the camera. Today's cameras have no visual cues for anything - that is, until Fujifilm brought forth the X series.

...And yes, I even don't own the camera, yet!

Best regards,
Pedro

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow