What is this fascination with iso6400?

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
DigitalPhilosopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 736
Like?
Re: What is this fascination with iso6400?
In reply to dosdan, Feb 12, 2013

dosdan wrote:

Your reply does not explain how you are going to defy the laws of physics.

Dan.

I am not a physicist (apparently you are?), and this was an example I came up with - I am not in a position to say if it is feasible or not (although, as a philosopher by education, I'm usually ​very ​cautious before I say something ​can't​ happen). In any case, my point was that to increase a number (whether it's MP, ISO, watts - 80s Hi-Fi race - automobile speed, etc.) is ​not ​true innovation.

True innovation is to find a way for a camera to do the focusing for you; to come up with a digital sensor that can replace film in a camera; to come up with a system that "magically" reduces holding-induced vibration in lenses

About that latter one, I'm sure VR-IX (are we on VRIII now, I've lost count) will be most welcome. To shoot hand-held a 500mm lens at shutter speed of 1/2 is surely a benefit. But a) to claim that "it couldn't be done without it" is nonsense; b) The original VR was the true engineering innovation. The rest are mere tweakings

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon
Follow me on Twitter:
@amateurnikon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow