EM-5: Confused by Auto White-Balance results

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 4,220
Like?
Re: EM-5: Confused by Auto White-Balance results
In reply to assaft, Feb 12, 2013

assaft wrote:

Very noticeable difference between the shots. I don't recall seeing such cases with my E-PL2. I guess there isn't much you can do since you have no access to the algorithm.

One thing I am asking myself is how much other camera than the E-M5 would differ in these scenes or if there is something about the scenes/examples that leads to just the same expected outcome. I am struggling with flash and flash/mixed lighting anyway, but the first example was purely lit via daylight coming through the window.

It would be interesting to see what a grey card sample would tell about these scenes. You can capture it from/with different angels/lenses/iso+aperture combinations to see if at least the light reflected from the card has changed and to what extent. It's a simulation of course, just in an attempt to rule out the effect of some parameters.

I hoped that someone else would already have gathered that intel about the E-M5's (+lens) WB behavior. Especially since I already analyzed so many aspects of this camera and shared the information that I thought this information might be available from others for a change.

That being said, I already did some WB analysis with a gray and white target when I compared different RAW converters in another thread. This was the curious outcome:

Different software handles the same WB setting (camera) quite differently and up to now I don't even understand why their ranges/numbers differ so much (50000K? seriously?), even when their visible results don't necessarily.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow