What is this fascination with iso6400?

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,020
Like?
Re: What is this fascination with iso6400?
In reply to DigitalPhilosopher, Feb 12, 2013

DigitalPhilosopher wrote:

Sorry to repeat myself (or actually Thom Hogan), but he's totally right on the money on this one:
"Do you really need more than 12mp? More than 8 fps? More than ISO 3200? More than nine or ten stops of dynamic range? Certainly I never turn down more when offered it, but to justify paying for more gets tougher and tougher. And to pay for these gains in small increments is even tougher to justify. "

Who pays extra nowadays?  It's difficult to avoid these features when even entry-level cameras come with them.  For a few hundred $ now you can get DSLRs that have 24MP sensors capable of producing good-quality images at ISO6400 and with >12 stops of DR.  We no longer have to pay a premium for these features.  I wouldn't pay a lot extra to have a 20MP sensor compared to 14MP, or 14 stops of DR rather than 13.  But my Pentax K-01 cost £219 - less than many compacts - and (according to DxO Mark) has low-light performance comparable to some Canon full frame cameras a couple of years ago and an order of magnitude more expensive.  It's nice to have the capacity to shoot at ISO6400; I never mussed it when I didn't have it, but now that it is there I can take pictures that I wouldn't have been able to before (I've posted an example further down the thread).  I really don't get why this is such a big deal.

Best wishes

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow