Is 35mm f/1.8 more for portraits than scenery ?

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
DigitalPhilosopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 839
Like?
Re: Is 35mm f/1.8 more for portraits than scenery ?
In reply to chuhsi, Feb 12, 2013

I've used the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 extensively, and I can say that it's definitely not a portrait lens. It ​can ​be used as one, but it's definitely not the best. The focal length is bit short (even on DX IMO), and the distortion characteristics of the lens are such that in the close distance you'll be needing to get to achieve a head & shoulders portrait, distortion will be a major issue. For children and babies it's OK maybe, but try to get the photo of a pretty lady and you'll get smacked once she sees the results

If you have a camera with a focus motor, the old AF 50mm f/1.8 is a screaming deal. Distortion-free, great bokeh wide-open, and the focal length is quite flexible both for indoor and outdoor use.

Other options include the 85mm f/1.8 (again, if you're on a tight budget and have a body with focus motor, consider the old AF version)

The 35mm f/1.8 is truly remarkable for general photography, but it's not for portraiture.

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon
Follow me on Twitter:
@amateurnikon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow