Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
relate2
Contributing MemberPosts: 930
Like?
Out of camera jpeg + picassa -v- RAW
Feb 12, 2013

For a bright and sunny photo I am starting to lean toward out of Camera Jpegs with default sharpening in Picassa. Versus a RAW photo process in Lightroom.

Here is a photo of what hang glider pilots do when the wind won't co-operate....it is called hang-waiting.

For the purists this is just a spur of the moment snapshot not a "proper" photo, f13 should tell you that.

My in camera settings for jpeg are "Clear"....+1 Contrast...+1 Saturation and...+3 Sharpness.

The first photo is just the out of camera jpeg dropped into Picassa and one click sharpening.

Both photos are resized to 3000 longest side for Dpreview.

Tell me if you think for this style of snapshot, it is worth your while spending the time in Lightroom or just drop it into Picassa and hit the sharpening button?

My thoughts are the out of camera jpegs from my NEX-7 are right up there and it would have to be a special photo for me to spend any time in Lightroom. Picassa's sharpening especially, does a great job in my opinion.

The second one is the RAW developed in lightroom 4.

My Lightroom settings were.

Clarity: +47

Blacks: -8

Vibrancy: +15

Tone Curve: Medium contrast

Sharpening: +64

Lens correction for 24mm Zeiss 1.8

Camera Calibration: Adobe Standard

here are 100% crops of the 6000X4000 Jpeg first then RAW

RAW

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow