Is sony forced to use their own sensors?

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Equals Nothing
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
Is sony forced to use their own sensors?
Feb 12, 2013

The reason I ask is because there is a lot of new tech springing up. The new D5200 sports a non sony sensor (toshiba if I remember correctly), and there is new news of panasonic's own advancements. While the toshiba sensor in the nikon is being reported to have a few issues, such as banding when pulling up exposure, it's IQ performance is supposed to be very good. But it looks as though panasonic may best even toshiba. DPR has a news link discussing a new sensor from them, and it is expected to yield a full stop noise improvement compared to it's competition, which leads me to my big question.

There is no way consumers will ignore a full stop difference between cameras. I agree the 1/3 stop from the SLT mirror is not much an issue, but if panasonic starts selling it's sensors (still in dev so it will be some time) to canokon or pentax, where does that leave sony? Will sony buy panasonic sensors to put in it's SLT or NEX lines if they are superior to sony's own? Competition is healthy and I hope we end up with better cameras because of it, but the industry is very competitive from a financial POV. Any thoughts of how this may play out?

The DPR link is HERE , and this is a quote of some of the text. "According to Panasonic, the dyes used in conventional colour filter arrays absorb at least half of the incoming light before it reaches the sensor's photosites. In contrast, the company's 'Micro Color Splitter' technology passes all of the incoming light to the sensor. In practical terms, this corresponds to a sensitivity increase of a whole stop, which should in turn result in a stop improvement in noise performance. In other words, a 'Micro Color Splitter'-based sensor should give similar noise at ISO 3200 as a conventional Bayer sensor does at ISO 1600, for example."

Judging by the wording, it looks to be a very specific patent and design, so I'm guessing nobody else will be able to copy this. It will be interesting to see which cameras these new sensors end up in, and if they live up to expectation, it will be exciting. I hope I don't have to jump systems, but if panasonic hordes them I will buy buying a GH4.

EDIT: I am also pondering what this will mean for camcorders as well. Panasonic is a big player, mostly competing with sony and canon in the consumer market. This is one subject I will be eager to hear more about.

Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow