DSLR bundle for about $1000 - wrong forum sorry.

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dave Throgmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 700
Like?
Re: DSLR bundle for about $1000 - wrong forum sorry.
In reply to kraut67, Feb 12, 2013

kraut67 wrote:

I am moving away from P&S and am shopping for a DSLR. I have been reading the buying guides on this site and some of the forum posts, hoping to get some input to find the right camera for me.

Budget: $800 -$1200 (a little more if there is a huge difference in quality and/or versatility)

What: body + 1-2 lenses.

Purpose: initially - family portraits (baby pictures), landscapes, low light shots; down the line - videos

I am one of those people that likes to buy equipment and grow into it (even if it takes a while), rather than upgrading every year to something that would be appropriate to my skill level. I am willing to spend about $1000 to get me going and add-on another $800-$1000 for additional lenses/ accessories during the first year. This also means I am not willing to buy new base model for about 3-5 years.

So some of the choices I looked at are:

Canon EOS 60D DSLR Camera & EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens $1200

Canon T4i DSLR Camera & EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Type II Lens & EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Type II Lens $900

Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens $900

Nikon D5200 24.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens $900

The reason I have noticed the above is because everyone and their mother seems to have the Canon, and I did like the reviews for the Pentax and Nikon. I am not hung up on brand names, but having a Canon would allow me to switch out lenses with other people in my family. Truth be told there are just so many options available that it is difficult to figure out which one to pick.

I just wanted to get a sense of what this community would buy for the above budget, etc. I am also signing up for a class to give me some insight into the DSLR world. I imagine I will treat this hobby similar to my beer brewing, where I start of with one extraction kit, and then dove right into grain brewing because it just offered so many more options and most importantly better beer.

If you want to go Canon I think I'd recommend T4i + 18-55 + 55-250 over the 60D + 18-200.

I'd highly recommend holding both in your hands to see if you agree.

The 60D is due to be replaced and the T4i is noted to be the sharpest of Canon APS-C sensor cameras.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=458&Camera=808&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=458&Sample=0&SampleComp=0&CameraComp=736&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

(move your mouse over the image to see T4i vs 60D)

If you did go 60D I would not recommend the 18-200 to start out.  I'd suggest using a less expensive lens and figuring out what you want to do long term before putting a lot of money into a lens.

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow