Hong Kong 7's - what to bring?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Peter Kwok
Senior MemberPosts: 2,167Gear list
Like?
Some Hong Kong travel tips
In reply to Schnapper, Feb 11, 2013

I travel to Hong Kong very often.  But I live in the U.S. and knows nothing about rugby.  Here are some tips in general.

• DSLR is very common in Hong Kong.  It is not unusual to see people carrying full-frame bodies and white lens on any street.  They take them everywhere including concert venues.  Normally, in the U.S., "professional" cameras would be banned in such places.  But in HK, it would be unthinkable if fans cannot take their everyday camera (i.e., big DSLR) to see their stars.
  • Camera price in HK is lower than Australia.  However, make sure you know what is included before you give them your credit card.  Some merchants remove essential accessories like battery, charger, etc from the box and charge extra for them.
  • Hong Kong is beautiful after sunset.  Go out with an IS lens and shoot.

Some non-photographic tips:

• Take an unlocked GSM phone.  You can buy a SIM card to make inexpensive calls from any Circle-K or 7-11, including those at the airport.
  • Buy a pre-paid Octopus card.  It is not only good for public transit like MTR trains, buses and ferries, but also good at fast food places like McDonald's.  Then you don't have to worry about small changes, which can be confusing.  You can get refund for unused portion at the airport.
  • Streets and public transits are very crowded.  You will be carrying your gears on your back while traveling on foot or standing on trains.  With a 4-year old in tow, plan to travel light
  • HK is a very fast pace city, like London or New York.  People walk UP on escalators.  They are not rude, they are just in a hurry.  So, hang on to your little one and don't get separated.
-- hide signature --

Peter Kwok
Click here for my PBase gallery
WYSIWYG - If you don't like what you get, try to see differently.

Peter Kwok's gear list:Peter Kwok's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow