Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,471Gear list
Like?
SX260 or S100?
Feb 11, 2013

I have a 60D, wife has an ELPH 100HS.  I want another canon compact to carry around when I'm just out hiking or walking around.  I used to have an LX5, but it was too thick for my pockets and I hated the color output compared to my Canons.  I loved the low ISO sharpness and wide angle, though.

Main points of interest are versatility, good image quality, camcorder stand in, and pocket friendly.

I was thinking S100, but then the zoom range is very similar to our ELPH 100HS and while the aperture is f1.8, it drops rapidly.  The larger sensor would be helpful in some situations, but I don't anticipate using RAW very often (never did on the LX5).

Looking at the sx260, it has that amazing zoom range.   The aperture is slower at 25mm, but it's still f4 at 120, where the S100 has dropped to f5.9.   The SX260 doesn't hit f5.9 until past 400mm.   So the average aperture across the shared zoom range is pretty similar. I would have a bit smaller sensor, though.

So what do you think?  For a grab and go walk around camera that fits in the pocket?

Canon EOS 60D Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow