Cannot find better IQ than S95 or S100 for price:Opinions?

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Finzi
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Cannot find better IQ than S95 or S100 for price:Opinions?
Feb 11, 2013

Hi,

I already have a Lumix FZ200 which I'm happy with. But I also want a small point and shoot that I can pop in my pocket. I've done endless research on reviews and sample images at various ISOs and had a good look at flickr examples. Of course I realise that any camera is a partnership with the photographer and test images are not always the defining aspect of quality or potential.

However, the one camera that keeps coming back as the best possible image quality for a modest price and small size is the Canon S95. However the S100 also attracts me since it is similar in basic specs but with the fuss about quality control and unreliability I'm wondering whether the S95 is a safer bet despite the s100 having more features.

The other candidates are the LX5, LX7 and possibly the TZ30 except that the latter, though perfect in size and features, seems to fall way off in IQ at higher ISOs.

Other contenders could be:

Sony HX20v - great features but questionable IQ

Olympus XZ 1

Nikon P7100

Others?

I would be grateful for opinions, but based on the budget I am implying and with no alllegiance to any particular make. Thank you.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow