Image sharpening.

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Doug Pardee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,439Gear list
Like?
Re: Image sharpening.
In reply to movielvr, Feb 11, 2013

movielvr wrote:

hi, all. can any one recommend a good sharpening tutorial. I just don't feel like I really understand the total concept.

Almost nobody understands the total concept. Here's probably today's most definitive book on the subject: Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition). It's 360 pages long.

There are a number of contradictory opinions on sharpening. Many people will say to sharpen only at the end of the workflow, just before printing or posting. The book mentioned above recommends three separate sharpening phases, done for different reasons and with different techniques to achieve different goals in each phase.

Many people say that you shouldn't sharpen so much that you produce halos. Others say that you ​should ​produce halos in many cases, especially for print, to compensate for expected sharpness losses in the output process.

Many people say that sharpening is a synthetic process that attempts to make an image ​look ​sharper than it is. Others (including me) note that properly applied, sharpening is merely compensation for reduced MTF at high resolutions, and thus is ​not​ a synthetic process at all.

"Sharpening" is not a topic for which there exists a simple Truth.

-- hide signature --

The open-source LightZone Project: http://lightzoneproject.org/

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Snapseed +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow