Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,491Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 45-150 zoom
In reply to Mingjai, Feb 11, 2013

Mingjai wrote:

bloodycape wrote:

What you purchased is the Oly 40-150mm. This is the Pansonic 45-150mm. Not sure really which one would be the better lens, but the Panasonic offers lens based IS, which is nice for us Panasonic users who don't have IBIS and prefer a lens with IS.

That said I too have my eye on the Oly 40-150mm because that is pretty much a steal at that price. Though the IS on the 45-150mm has me wondering is this lens worth the extra 100 or is IQ the same(or even worse)?

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the build quality on the Panasonic 45-150mm is a little better than the Olympus 40-150mm, specifically metal versus plastic lens mount.

For me the Pana 45-150mm makes sense as I can access the unswitched OIS with my E-PL5 for any rare video that I do, or for reassurance when I have doubts about the IBIS.

Build quality looks good, has a proper metal mount and comes with a nice deep reversible lens hood. Feels nice, no wobbly or cheap looking bits. The 52mm filter thread makes life nice for me as it matches the Oly 9-18mm and Pana 14-45mm that I also use.

Optically have yet to exercise it properly in the field but my New Zealand holiday starting Wednesday should help me decide if it is a good lens or not. First impressions though are that it is a good one. Might get some Hobbits with it.

In Australia none of those crazy $99 deals and the regular price of the Pana 45-150mm always seems to be cheaper than the Oly 40-150mm as a standalone purchase. Of course the 40-150mm falls to less cost when buying in a twin lens kit.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow