Canon 70-300 IS USM vs 70-300 L IS USM

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lanski
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70-300 IS USM vs 70-300 L IS USM
In reply to Myer, Feb 11, 2013

Hi Myer,
I have owned the non-L for 2 years and have a semi-pro friend who owns the L. I can only speak from my experience but the non-L is the only lens that I own that I am often (though not always, it can be great up to 200mm) disappointed by. It's not a bad lens (telephoto lenses demand a lot of money before the quality I'm after appears), but it's only good up to around 230mm, which isn't why I bought it. My friend on the other hand (who has about £20k of equipment!) appears very happy with the L version (and so he should at the price!). I'm considering trading up and I would expect to see a very noticeable improvement, but the pictures I've already taken won't see the benefit. In the end, it comes down to just how sharp you want the lens to be and just how much weight you're willing to carry. On the bright side, the extra weight of the L may be offset by the sudden lightness of your wallet...
All the best,
Lance

Lanski's gear list:Lanski's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow