What is this fascination with iso6400?

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,913Gear list
Like?
Re: What is this fascination with iso6400?
In reply to Draek, Feb 11, 2013

Draek wrote:

Because people are idiots, and it gives them an easy thing to obsess over.

Yes, there's a handful of situations where ISO ratings that crazy are actually desirable or even needed, but you can't tell me with a straight face they make up most of the output of most of the complainers' photography. Add in this weird obsession with "natural light" even when it sucks, their taste for awful megazooms and the utterly attrocious sense of timing and balance most of them have, leading them to need 1/250 or faster speeds to capture slow-moving humans in light that barely qualifies as such, and you get the current status quo where the only time people ever get to see what their equipment is made of is when they're shooting rulers in their homes to check for front- or back-focusing on the prime they got as a novelty before deciding that 18-250 was their one and only.

I swear to God, the way things have been going as of late, ten years from now a "young and coming" photographer will make waves into the photography world for daring to use a reflector to fill in the shadows on his shots. Mostly because of how horrified people will be once they find out he "faked" his light in such a gross manner.

Now don't get me wrong: as I said, some of the interest in high ISO is justified, and some examples can be found throughout this thread. But so much of it is just a meaningless obsession that serves as nothing but an excuse not to learn the craft as they should---with a focus on the art and technique rather than on review figures and 100% crops.

I'm glad you've noted that there are many many legitimate ways in which photographic equipment can be used, because your last statement:

...but consumer-end f/1.8 or f/2 lenses are cheap enough, if you couldn't afford them, you most likely shouldn't have been able to afford your camera to begin with;

could cause a lot of anger amongst those who carefully thought through their photographic needs and realized that f1.8 or f2.0 primes don't serve their needs as well as f4 zooms do. Most photographers aren't as dedicated in pursuit of technical excellence as the camera manufacturers would like them to be, and they don't have to be.  Superposition is risky.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow