User Advise On Leica R-8 SLR Film Camera:

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
porrsha
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?
Re: User Advise On Leica R-8 SLR Film Camera:
In reply to JPG, Feb 11, 2013

I have had an R8 since they came out from the factory. Originally I was only shooting film then the Digiback came out and I have been using that now for over 10 years. The system eats the charge on a battery like nobodies business. You can not buy an additional battery from a Leica dealer that I have been able to find so if your battery goes dead you are done until you can plug in a charger.

The system was extremely reliable until last year when my camera died. Leica NJ sent it back to Solms and it was repaired for $1,100.00. I could have bought a used R8 for half of that. The repair order was a bit vague as to the actual problem they found.

I have been vascillating between something like the Nikon D800 and waiting for the new M-240 that will take R lenses. These are 2 very different cameras obviously. If I can find the right deal then I will jump on a D800 and use adaptors to the R lenses.

The camera gives great images but has a limitation for size of image. I did a large metal print and found that the pixelation was very noticeable when the image is blown up that large. No surprise but that was a wake up call for my photography becaue I was over a limit for something I wanted to do. Send me a PM if you need more info.

Wayne

porrsha's gear list:porrsha's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica M Typ 240
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow