Installing SSD, Windows 7, 64 Bit, Part II, Help!

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Birk Binnard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,668
Like?
Re: Installing SSD, Windows 7, 64 Bit, Part II, Help!
In reply to Mikeobe, Feb 11, 2013

I added an SSD to my Win7-64 system about a year ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but as I recall Jim's advice is right on.  My system was in IDE mode at the time since it had only one HDD installed.  So I installed the SSD in IDE mode and ran a clean Win7-64 install.  This worked OK and I was able to boot off the SSD with no problems.

However, I knew I was still running in IDE mode which is not good for SSDs.  So I restarted, switched BIOS to AHCI, and restarted again.  That caused Win7 to install the AHCI driver, after which I rebooted again.

This resulted in a proper configuration and from then on everything was A-OK.

You can verify that your system is configured properly by looking at IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers in Device Manager.  If you expand this you should see Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Family SATA AHCI Controller (or something like that, depending on the chipset your motherboard has.)

Once you have the SSD properly configured I see no reason why you can't put your HDDs into a RAID array.

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard
www.birkbinnard.com/photography;

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow