Need help in choosing a 2nd lens

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeddi
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
Re: Need help in choosing a 2nd lens
In reply to DanielBme, Feb 11, 2013

DanielBme wrote:

I just bought the EM5 which came with 12-50mm lens. I am going to Morocco in a few months and would like to add another lens but I'm not sure which would be most beneficial.

Hey Daniel,

FWIW I did a summer trip through Morocco in August, and asked a similar question in the Oly DSLR forum - i wrote up a summary after the trip here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42607460

Yes, this was using an E-620 with FT lenses, but the basic lenses are comparable in terms of IQ and apertures. The OM-D has probably at least one extra stop with its IBIS, and an extra 3 or 4 stops via decent higher ISO output - so my gut feel is that you need be less concerned with low light. If you have one, a flash may be useful. Also an off-camera flash cable can make a big difference, and third party ones are cheap on ebay.

I'd echo what everyone else is suggesting - the widest lens you can take, the better!

I see you've just bought a 40-150mm, but check out the Samyang/Rokinon/et al 7.5mm fisheye - cheap, light, fun. Not as good as the 9-18mm, natch, but worth looking at, especially if it's a 'maybe one day' option for you anyway. My other half travelled with the E-PM1, Oly 14-42mm, Pany 14mm/2.5, samyang 7mm, and the mFT-FT adapter for emergencies

Jeddi's gear list:Jeddi's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow