Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Thorbard
Contributing MemberPosts: 677Gear list
Like?
Re: what about a 70-200 1.5x f/2.8 ??
In reply to bigfatron, Feb 11, 2013

bigfatron wrote:

Thorbard wrote:

Size and weight would definitely kill this lens for most people. And how long has it taken Canon to develop the 200-400??

I had the now-discontinued 100-300 f4 EX Sigma lens and that was physically big, weighed just shy of 1.5kg and was plenty enough to lug around all day. I couldn't see the lens being proposed being any lighter.

And to add my two cents I don't see the point of having the bulk and weight and complexity of an inbuilt TC + mechanism on a lens that (relatively) short. If you're going to build a 300mm f4 zoom then skip the TC nonsense and build a 300mm f4 zoom.

I still borrow and use that very same lens, and like you say, you definitely know about it when you're using it all day. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the optical design is already based on a 70-200+TC with minor refinements.

Thorbard's gear list:Thorbard's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow