Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,769Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D5200 got very high DXO score
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Feb 11, 2013

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

philbot wrote:

If Sony can perfect on-sensor PDAF, or make the SLT mirror flip up out the way, they'll always be slightly hampered in those benchmarks..

If they find a way to flip mirror the gap should be very close, just look at RX1 and D600 DXO scores. But for sports and wildlife shooters who prefer APSC crop sensor, camera's AF performance is at least as important as clean high ISO. I am not sure how fast or reliable on-sensor PDAF can be.

Using the Nikon V1 has convinced me that on-sensor PDAF is more accurate than using the traditional separate PDAF module found in DSLRs, and is potentially the fastest as well if the issue of low light performance can be solved. The main issue with on-sensor PDAF is getting enough light on the sensor to make it work reliably. This is not an issue at all in bright daylight, but becomes an issue as the light intensity diminishes. However, a larger aperture lens will allow more light to reach the sensor,  and  I find that with the Nikon V1 the PDAF focusing works very reliably in 4 EV with an f2.8 lens, and should work in even less light with a larger aperture lens.

But you don't have to believe me. This is what Imaging Resource said about the Nikon V1's hybrid auto focusing:

"Overall, Nikon 1's hybrid AF system offers outstanding AF speeds that set a new benchmark for CSCs and consumer DSLRs alike." - Imaging Resource.com

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NIKONV1/NIKONV1A6.HTM

Best regards,

Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow