Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mike Arledge
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
Re: Grandmother's Dress
In reply to nzino, Feb 11, 2013

nzino wrote:

Very nicely shot and setup !

The softness is really pleasing. How much/what post-processing did you do ?

If I may, the pose would have been perfect with some eye contact and if the hands were holding the framed photograph in a more relaxed position (fingers more extended). That would have created, I feel, an even stronger link with the old photograph.

-- hide signature --

Nicolas

Thanks for the kind words. We thought about eye contact, but after trying several things, felt this was the way to go. We actually wanted this photo to look overly posed and slightly too formal, because we wanted it to feel as old fashioned as the dress. I regret that none of the eye contact images looked as good as this one in the end. I think the formalness of the pose not being relaxed worked for what I was aiming for. This photo was actually part of a larger project I am doing, so perhaps some of the way I posed this doesn't make as much sense without being included with the others or with the project aims.

Regarding processing.  I was using three Westcott icelights as a constant light setup, and a slightly low shutter speed, so some of the softness came from the lighting, ISO 800, etc.  More was done in post with a glamour glow effect and some reduction of the highlights and midtones in tonal contrast mapping.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 70D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
dadNew
MiniNew
SK8New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow