Canon 50mm 1.4 Lens- Disappointed! Wondering if I should send it back?!

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LauraBeth1987
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Canon 50mm 1.4 Lens- Disappointed! Wondering if I should send it back?!
Feb 11, 2013

Hi all.  This is my first time on a photography forum like this.  Just want to let you know in advance that I appreciate any info/opinion that you have to offer.

I just received my Canon 50mm 1.4 from Amazon the other day.  I've only worked with it two days.  The first day I was quite pleased because I was using it for portraits and loved the pretty bokeh and blurriness it created outside of my subject.  So Reason 1 of why I bought it was looking fantastically up to par.

But then yesterday I was trying to focus it at 1.4 on a page in a book.  I was right up next to the pages, maybe 2 inches away.  I could get nothing except mushiness.  I had to back up a good 12 inches before I could take the picture with any sort of clear focusing whatsoever.  I tried both Manual and Auto and neither of them produced any good results.  My other reason for buying this lens was to do some macro work.  I am awaiting a set of Kenko extension tubes and plan on using them behind my 50mm.  The tubes worked wonderfully with my old 18-55mm kit lens and T3i, so I was thinking they'd be even more amazing with my MarkII and 50mm 1.4.  Now it's looking as though that won't happen at all.  Someone please tell me that I got a faulty lens!  Not that this is necessarily GOOD news but if there are 50mm 1.4's out there that do the beautiful work I was hoping for ... I'd like to get my hands on one of those!

Also- maybe this is just me being picky or spoiled by my only other lens (Which is the 17-40mm L) but I have found that when I Auto-focus with the 50mm it grinds a little bit.  There is a lot of noise and it just doesn't feel streamlined or smooth at all.  It came brand new but I feel like I'm working with a lens that's seen better days, do you know what I mean?

Please help me!!!  I'm hoping I can return it for a better made one or maybe just get my money back and look around for something different. Thank you all for your time!

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow