Bought Nex-6...pondering getting PL5 instead...?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,224Gear list
Like?
Re: But the PL5 isn't really smaller...
In reply to GaryW, Feb 11, 2013

GaryW wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

guermantes wrote:

Indeed, for travelling I am looking at getting the SEL18200LE because I can get it noe for just about 400 euros. That seems to be a steal to me. Maybe the price is plunging because the rumour is that it is actually a rebranded Tamron, but my thinking is that for an amateur like me it should be well good enough. You say the 55-210 is mediocre, I had no intention of getting that lens, but should I be warned also about the 18-200LE ?

I just mean it's low end lens that's not that long. Sony doesn't have any $500-$900 category telephoto zooms for NEX in the 300-400mm range. I assume the 18-200 is as good as any other 18-200 lenses.

If you want a big lens, there's little disadvantage to adapting an A-mount, except for the additional cost for the adapter.

The lack of OS is the biggest disadvantage IMO.  I'm hoping the updated 400mm zoom will add OSS.

Otherwise I'd partially agree, although not completely.  A dedicated E-mount has the luxury of the utilizing the space the adaptor occupies--perhaps increase the amount of telescoping or put electronics.  So a dedicated E-mount lens might be able to be designed to collapse to a smaller size.

The dedicated E-mount also doesn't have the light loss from the mirror.  But Sony could fix this issue with the rumored flip-up translucent mirror design.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
omg!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow