X-E1 vs. 5D MKIII non-scientific comparison...

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,444Gear list
Like?
Re: Indeed
In reply to shigzeo ?, Feb 11, 2013

shigzeo ? wrote:

Midwest wrote:

Bernie Ess wrote:

The point of using the X-E1 is to use a small, light, beautiful camera

A beautiful camera is important.

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

Unless you are using sarcasm, I agree. Most of today's cameras are simply too bulky, too full of unnecessary buttons, and have no labels to be beautiful.

...Some have indeed unnecessary (not often used) buttons; I don't think labels - most of the time tied to the manufacturers logos/marketing/prestige can be considered a beautiful/elegant touch, though...

When you say most of today's cameras are simply to bulky, you are surely referring to pro cameras. Most of today "normal" cameras are quite ergonomic and much better designed - from an ergonomic point of view - than yesterday ones...

Fuji's new cameras are designed to be used, not designed to be researched. All the controls are well-labelled and easy to suss, while the controls for my Nikon D800 have no labels except for ISO, WB, QUAL (whatever that is) and a few other hardly-touched buttons.

Fuji's design is beautiful and as a modern camera, the most functional yet. Beautiful design is incredibly important. If it gets in the way of shooting because of faulty or ugly design, it serves a disservice.

Sorry, but I disagree in what the Fujis are concerned... Not that they are ugly, but many details are faulty, IMO; I also wonder why the fuss about retro/revivalist design. Most of the time it doesn't gives you better ergonomics. Beauty, on the other hand, although desirable, is not a must, "per si"; I would certainly opt by timeless, instead...

I'll give you (just) three examples:

1 - The grip could be much more prominent - after all it's supposed to be comfortable for holding the camera body - and wouldn't increase the pocket-ability too much; people always forget there is a much more cumbersome lens - or zoom - protruding the camera body...

2 - The tripod attachment thread/screw is off-axis from the sensor - a total nonsense for photography, i.e., panorama shots - and to close to the battery/sd card compartment making it impossible to open when attached to a tripod/tripod plate...

3 - All the buttons at the left of the LCD Monitor would be much accessible/friendly if placed on the right side where your right thumb could easily reach them...

...And yes, I even don't own the camera, yet!

Best regards,
Pedro

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow