ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
User Advise On Leica R-8 SLR Film Camera:
Feb 11, 2013

I still shoot film and still keep a Hasselblad 500 C/M as well as a Leica CM p/s and a Leica R 6.2 SLR.  However a Sony NEX-7 has crept into my arsenal.  The Leica R loves to share it's glass with the NEX-7, that's why I bought it.  So, I'm still a film buff that shoots basically all manual, even with the NEX-7.

I have a chance from my local camera store to trade my R-6.2 for an R-8 and am wondering if it is worth it.  There are lots of sites on the internet that praise the R-8 as well as the R-6.2, but would like to hear from guys on this website what their experiences are with it.

I understand that the photo quality will not get any improvement because I will be using the same lenses, the Simmilux f/1.4 50mm. and the Vario-Elmar 35-70mm.  What I am concerned about is the weight.  The R-6.2 with the lenses on is already heavy but the R-8 must be as heavy as a gold brick.  I also understand the R-6.2 is really a Minolta while the R-8 is the first SLR that was designed and built by Leica.  Also, that the R-8 is completely dependent on batteries while the R-6.2 doesn't need batteries eccept for the exposure meter.  Is the R-8 battery hungry?  So, I'm interested in hearing about the irritating quirks on the R-8 as no camera is perfect.
The dealer is selling the R-8 for about $600 without lenses while he well buy the R-6.2 from me for about $100 so is the $500 more for the R-8 worth the bother?

I understand also that the R-8 has a transparent mirror, like the Sony DSLR.  Does this mean that their is no mirror slap as the mirror does not have to get out of the way when taking a pic?

Also, it is my understanding there is a digital back for the R-8.  Seems this might be a cheaper way to get into a full frame digital camera.

I would just like to hear your thoughts.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow