Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
rubank
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
Re: I share the frustration!
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Feb 11, 2013

Daniel Lauring wrote:

rubank wrote:

The other day I was shooting (with the D800, not the gun) a beautiful red fox on a snowy field. Imagine the contrast: a red fox against a white background. Does it get better?

I took 11 shots of the fox. The camera was set at AF-C single point and NONE of the shots turned out usable because the camera couldn´t focus properly!

This isn´t the only encounter I´ve had with this behaviour of the D800. It seems unable to focus on anything from horses to furry wildlife. The number of unusable shots of deer I have is ridiculous, and for every sharp shots of my Welsh springers I have ten OOF.

It´s been said before: the D800 is a superb sensor in a mediocre (at best) shell.

I haven't had the opportunity to exercise the D800 on wildlife yet. It has proven, however, to be much more reliable on the interior shots, than the D600 I had before it. I'm finally seeing eyes in focus, without resorting to F5.6 apertures. So far I have only used single point, focus priority release. Not to wish ill on you, but I hope it is a matter of sample variation and not a global issue.

Don´t get me wrong. I have a lots of landscape and portraits in perfect focus, with all the glory the sensor can muster. It´s just when it comes to animals it is constantly letting me down.
And I don´t know why. I have tried every possible setting for the AF and nothing helps.

Is it me? Don´t think so. I didn´t have these problems with the D300. Is it the lens? Don´t think so, my most used lens is the 70-200/2,8 VRII.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow