Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EJJB
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
A thank you message for a reluctant "Wedding Photographer"
Feb 11, 2013

About 8 months ago, I was asked to take some pictures at a wedding.  I've read a lot on here and elsewhere about wedding photography, and at the moment have neither the confidence, the desire, the skill or the equipment to become a 'Wedding Photographer'.

Don't worry I told the couple this.  I was to take photos of the groom getting ready, and told the couple that I would do this, but would give them no guarantee that they would be happy with any of my pictures.  I wash't getting paid and as the couple were good friends they understood my reluctance, was happy to go along and have a go.  I am so glad that I did, and just wanted to thank the people that replied to an earlier thread about this.

The wedding took place in the middle of January which gave me 7 months to worry about it !  In the end I was happy with the images that I got, and the couple were over the moon with them too - such a big relief.  I was able to print a few off the next day and frame one of them as a gift.  The 'pro' photographer that they got, looks to have done a good job (I've not seen all the images yet) of photos of the couple and bridal party.  Far better than I could dream of at the moment !

I had a few ideas before the big day - groomsmen helping the groom to tie his tie, putting in the button holes etc, and was amazed at the amount of opportunities that presented themselves.  I think my favourite shot was a pictures of the suits in their suit bags, with the name tags of the groom and each of the groomsmen attached hanging in the wardrobe.

Some of the advice I received was to not interfere with the pro, and at most, just introduce myself.  In the end I decided to put my camera away while the pro was around, and only to take my pictures before she arrived and after she had gone.  I really think this was the right move.

Would I do it again ?  Defiantly yes, but only under the same terms.  I'll leave the pressure side of wedding photography to the pros.

Thanks for the advice.

Just as a foot note, I have recently been looking at one so called pros wedding photographs, and can't believe the quality.  Even as an enthusiastic amateur I could do a better job.  A few shots taken by the ocean, and the background isn't level - it's a long way off level and spoils about 6 of the shots used to promote the business.  I wouldn't dare give these to a bride and groom and expect to be paid  for them.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow