Why no afordable 400f/4?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Questions thread
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,835Gear list
Like?
Re: A few reasons
In reply to happysnapper64, Feb 11, 2013

happysnapper64 wrote:

Thank's for all your replies guys. I am fairly new as I have said, so the economics of things are unknown to me. I suppose the main factor is the age of the design, & the cost of re-tooling for a different lens design bumping up the cost to make it unmarketable. Pity. My 2 longest lenses are the 70-200f/4 IS L & Sigma 120-400 OS. I was thinking of adding a 400 prime [which was what got me thinking about the topic of the thread] & thought the 400f/5.6 would be noticeably better at 400 than the Sigma. Have any of you gone this route, having a 400 prime as well as a zoom that goes to 400? It's for birds & wildlife, zoos, safari parks & bird sanctuary's. Any more info or opinions would be very welcome. Thank's.

I own the 100-400L, which I love, but I can see myself buying a 400 prime as well. The reason is that the AF on the zoom is not as fast as on the prime, in cases that I know I will only use 400mm anyway (such as birds in flight) I would much prefer the speed of the prime. They are complimentary, although the zoom is more versatile and thus was my first choice.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow