WD
WD
Contributing MemberPosts: 517
Like?
Re: uh, it's really obvious what is going on
In reply to intensity studios, Feb 11, 2013

intensity studios wrote:

WD wrote:

I agree 100%. I'm convinced, the reason we haven't seen a D400 or new DX lenses is that Nikon is directing their energy, research and development in the mirrorless direction. The V1 is a working test-bed from which the DX mirrorless system will evolve.

Nikon realizes they're in a horse race and near the back of the pack, rounding the first turn and heading into the backstretch. They need to show their supporters they're like Secretariat, who could come from behind and win by 10 lengths! (I just hope Secretariat has a good Jockey!)

And while we wait, since the race has a way to go yet, give us the dang D400! It's probably the last one you'll ever have to design.

Warren

What do you need, nikon to send a telegram to you personally? They are slowly killing off DX while putting their main energies into FX. They are testing the waters with mirrorless, but aren't going "all in" with it. All you have to look at is last year's product announcements to see the writing on the wall. It's not that complicated.

Yes, DX will be around for a few more years. They will definitely continue the D3xxx, D5xxx and D7xxx lines for a few more generations. We *might* get a D400, there's a chance. And then what? It could be another 5 years until they update the "pro dx" line after that. Because it is not a moneymaker for Nikon.

DX always was a stopgap measure to get DSLRs to the masses. With the falling cost of full frame sensors, DX is becoming irrelevant. And please, spare me the "DX has more reach" argument. That is super amateur talk. If reach is a major concern with you, there's always teleconverters.

-- hide signature --

With due respect, Nikon couldn't care less what I, or you, personally think.  They will respond to market forces successfully and thrive, or follow Kodak.

Technology is racing ahead. The mirror and pentaprism is nearing its end. A high pixel sensor with embedded phase-detect focusing capability is here...now.  It's in its infancy, but this baby is already jumping rope!  In a shorter time than many think, it'll be dunking baskets over the head of SLR defenders...to coin a basketball metaphor.  The winning team will produce the best team of "starters" and "reserves on the bench."  (Cameras, lenses and accessories.)  There are more advantages to mirrorless over SLR design than the reverse, from performance to cost of production.  It's also a new, wide open and potentially fast growing market, with huge profit potential.  In what would you invest your future?

The current FX system is the culmination of 50+ years of design and production based on the old 35mm film format.  It makes perfect sense to produce cameras that take advantage of the legacy glass and wrest the highest performance from them.  It also makes sense to do it NOW to encourage  as many as possible to invest in FX dSLR because, purchases of that system will decrease when it becomes apparent it is no longer necessary to invest that level of capital to get satisfactory results.  Stimulating it now, when it's at the top of its game, is a smart move.  It'll be much more difficult to make profits with the legacy designs in the future.

When the mirror mechanism goes, then the legacy glass becomes much less valuable.  FX doesn't become worthless; it won't disappear for a long time; but the user base will steadily shrink.  (How many medium format cameras/users are around?  How profitable is that business?  Is it growing?)  The critically important point for Nikon and Canon is: they will sell fewer SLR cameras and lenses for that format which will mean shrinking profitability in that sector.

As for the dearth of DX lenses:  Why invest in design and production of new lenses for a dying product?  That's often described as the death of DX format.  I and others put forth the argument that it isn't DX format which is dying, but the SLR.  The smart company will be investing resources in future product which can grow sales and profit.  FX lenses can be used on DX SLRs, hence, we've seen numerous new and upgraded FX lenses which is spurring today's market.  Makes perfect sense.  Virtually nothing exciting and new for DX SLR...also makes sense.  It takes as much in resources to produce a lens for SLR as it does for mirrorless, and if the plans are to introduce a superb line of DX mirrorless cameras, the lenses better be ready.

I actually agree with you, Antonio, that the low-end dSLR models will continue for a few more years.  And, we may see the D400 for D300 devotees, of which I'm one.  I simply don't believe the long-term future of digital is the FX format in a dSLR, nor will I be purchasing one.  I don't need what it offers and don't want to give up what my equipment does for me.  A D400???  If it isn't too late in coming.

P.S.  Did you get a telegram??

-- hide signature --

Warren

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow