Well there you go....

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ec1k
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Re: Well there you go....
In reply to relate2, Feb 11, 2013

relate2 wrote:

You learn something new every day. I didn't know that on my NEX-7 and in fact most Sony interchangeable lens cameras is....when shooting Raw + jpeg, jpeg only gives you "Standard Jpeg" not fine or superfine.

I have been very happy with my Jpegs, but will have to do some "Fine Jpeg" shots to see if I can notice any improvement.

Here is a quote from an interview with Sony's Mark Weir from this link.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/02/08/qa-with-sony-mark-weir-big-tech-and-development-decisions-yield-a-big-year

DE: This is another big request from our readers, that I believe applies to pretty much all the Sony interchangeable lens cameras: When you’re in RAW plus JPEG mode, you can only shoot… is it just JPEG normal? You can’t shoot RAW plus JPEG fine or super fine?

MW:Yeah, we have received requests to be able to set JPEG compression while shooting RAW plus JPEG and we are aware of that request.

I think he means that there isn't any adjustability today.  This is relatively easy to test.  Set the camera on a tripod with a static scene, take a RAW+JPEG shot, then a JPEG Fine, then a JPEG Std.  File sizes should easily tell you what the RAW+JPEG is saving at.

Just did an informal test and the RAW+JPEG resulted in a JPEG file of 4.7MB, the JPEG Fine resulted in a 4.5MB file and the JPEG Std resulted in a 3.2MB file.  I did this test handheld, which would account for the slight variation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow