x100 What am I doing wrong?

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Not everywhere.
In reply to Gaijin Tourist, Feb 11, 2013

Gaijin Tourist wrote:

The great thing about a symphony is they're not going anywhere, setting off flashpots, racing around a rapidly changing stage. You've got time to fine-tune, and with digital (instead of film for us older guys) you shoot a few, see what you got, and adjust accordingly.

Plus symphony audiences and the hall staff are usually quite accomodating as long as you're blocking no one, have a quiet camera, etc., so take a deep breath, you've got time to work a slow moving subject. Watch the results in the LCD and adjust as necessary.

Wow.  That is not my experience, at all.  In Chicago's Orchestra Hall, you'd be thrown out real fast if you pulled out a camera during a symphony performance.  At the start of every concert you are told no cell phones, cameras, or ANY electronic devices are to be used.

This is a place where cough drops are available at every doorway, like holy water at a Catholic church.  Concerts have been known to be stopped if the coughing gets too frequent.  Keith Jarret stopped a concert I was at, yelling at the crowd to stop coughing.

You can hear a pin drop in Orchestra Hall if there is silence.   No patron there would tolerate someone shooting with a camera next to them, completely disturbing the ambience.   Ticket prices are extremely high, usually at least $110 to sit on the main floor in the back and much, much higher closer up.  I paid $275 for each ticket to take my son and I to hear Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow