Anyone use Olympus Viewer 2?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,527Gear list
Like?
Re: Default sharpening? Re: Anyone use Olympus Viewer 2?
In reply to BHPhotog, Feb 11, 2013

BHPhotog wrote:

If I make no changes to an .ORF file and use Viewer "Develop and Save" as a 16-bit TIFF file, does it apply any sharpening? If so, does it use the sharpening setting in the OM-D, or Viewer software settings (that are unknowable I suppose).

Thanks for any feedback, Brian

Ummm, at a guess it uses the camera settings as the default, unless you get in there and change it.

Just checked it now...... Basic 2 tab in RAW developer has Sharpness item, it shows by default "As Shot" so you get the same settings as the camera. The change from As Shot is to go from -2 to +2 and then also Fine Adjust goes from -2 to +2 on top of that, but no idea what results you get as I have never fiddled with that.

Be aware that the -2 Sharpness in the camera still does a bit of sharpening to the in-camera jpeg. Not sure what the Oly Viewer 2 does if I turn off all sharpening, I usually use other RAW converters.

Or you can use the Gear Wheels Advanced Settings tab and access UnSharp Mask to have better control.

Usually though I like to produce jpegs/tiffs that are totally unsharpened and then sharpen to taste to suit display size or print size afterwards, or leave it mildly under-sharpened and let Qimage Ultimate work its magic for sharpening appropriately to suit the selected print size.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow