x100 What am I doing wrong?

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: x100 What am I doing wrong?
In reply to MrChristopher, Feb 11, 2013

You've just hit a bump in the road I so often travel, going around the Learning Curve !

The great thing about a symphony is they're not going anywhere, setting off flashpots, racing around a rapidly changing stage.  You've got time to fine-tune, and with digital (instead of film for us older guys) you shoot a few, see what you got, and adjust accordingly.  Plus symphony audiences and the hall staff are usually quite accomodating as long as you're blocking no one, have a quiet camera, etc., so take a deep breath, you've got time to work a slow moving subject.  Watch the results in the LCD and adjust as necessary.

For most of us coffee drinkers, 1/15 or even 1/8 is do-able in a small, leaf shutter camera ala' X100.  The advice about tripping it with a short self-timer can be a real help, too.  Brace against a wall or post or railing if available, maybe even a table-top tripod can be handy.  Of course, wider apertures will tend to bring up the shutter speed regardless of ISO.  I've even preset the camera, set it on a table, set off the self timer and let it do its thing while I stood several yards away.

Pics like these have a huge dynamic range, from full dark to the performers under the main lights.  If it were me, I'd have used the spot meter around the stage area and worked outwards from there.  The matrix or averaging meter will see those big dark areas, and you see what happened, we've ALL been there, believe me.  So next time, try a few, check the LCD or the EVF viewfinder and start fine tuning.  The X100 lens is just great at its biggest apertures, and then all you have to decide is what's the lowest ISO that's the best compromise for you of grain/ISO vs. shutter speed/aperture.

All the Best,

JW

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow