Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
FreeRadical009
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?
Re: A77 Baseball - ISO 200 to 12,800
In reply to garykohs, Feb 10, 2013

garykohs wrote:

FreeRadical009 wrote:

If you're using Optics Pro, I recommend you turn NR to Low in your camera and NOT go with Optics Pro default NR values. I find it that it gives better results when you lower it down at least half of the original set value (sometimes even more) than if you let it do it automatically. For some reason, the NR applied by DxO is too aggressive sometimes, at least for my taste.

I turned NR Off in my A700 as well and I recover much more detail than if I kept it on.

Of course, you got to be shooting RAW for this to work properly. JPEGs unfortunately do cut the headroom you've got with RAW to apply NR.

I hope this helps you out next time.

I only shoot raw and have NR on low.

I'll reprocess the high ISO images with 1/2 the default values and see what it looks like. I confess that I'm skeptical that it will be an improvement except at ISO 3200. But I'm willing to give it a try.

Do you have any ISO 6400 or 12800 shots for comparison?

I'm sorry, I'll owe you the samples since I removed them from this computer and backed them up to my HD's a week ago.

What will happen if you do what I suggested is that you will get detail back from the file at the expense of showing a bit more of noise. To me that's a fair tradeoff, because otherwise, DxO sometimes makes the shot look a bit "plasticky".

Bear in mind, I've tried it up until ISO 6400. I haven't used ISO 12,800 in the field yet, only in random testing.

Under my method, the higher the ISO, the less you got to move away from the default value that Optics Pro applies to your shot, due to how much the actual noise can ruin the shot overall. Though that depends on your taste.

Keep in mind two things: Optics Pro applies NR and determines the default value in a photo-by-photo basis. It won't apply the same amount on two different shots taken in different circumstances regardless if the ISO value was the same on both, since the content and brightness and darkness zones won't be the same.

Thus, the amount of how much you'll have to reduce the NR default value set by DXO depends on the analysis it does for that shot. In one it may suggest 40, in another 30 and in another 50. I've never seen it go beyond 50 on my shots.

Second, NR and its results are based on taste, so you may like a less grainy version than I do of a shot.

I sometimes go beyond the half of the original value, sometimes I go down to 5 and on rare occations, to 0.

Remember, I'm talking of the Luminescence Detail slider here. The other two I usually leave intact or adjust the Chroma noise silder if I still keep seeing color spots.

If you read the Optics Pro manual (I did), it says that they recommend turning camera corrections off in order for the software to work properly (NR, Vignetting, Color fringing, distortion). Otherwise, DxO will apply a correction over the correction, making an actual mistake instead of a proper correction. That's why I turned off all those in-camera corrections in my A77. If I used JPEG, I got a memory recall slot with those activated.

I do have files where I tested DxO using no NR and with different NR levels in my A700 and the difference is abysmal. Applying in camera NR and then software NR does ruin a photo and takes away any trace of fine detail on it. Turning it off and let DxO do its job renders much better results. That's why I turn off the NR in my cameras or to the lowest point possible.

One thing that DxO stresses a lot is that it works better with RAW files than JPEGs. That's because the RAW flles have the information intact, while JPEG has altered it due to the compression.

Sorry for the long post, I hope this clears details out of your on what I suggested. Cheers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow