New MFA method

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mike K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,496Gear list
Like?
Re: Or use laptop to control the camera and see the MA adjustment
In reply to dave_bass5, Feb 10, 2013

dave_bass5 wrote:

I prefer to use the moire pattern test. It's very similar to the posted version but uses a special image on your monitor. I guess this saves having to print anything out but does mean you need to be near a monitor or laptop.

I also have some links to Moire pattern targets and find that in-focus/out-of-focus decisions can be quickly made simply by watching the moire pattern on the camera LCD screen at 10X. The only limitation is that to meet the recommended camera to target distance of 50X lens focal distance one may quickly run out of room width while viewing your computer screen. For telephoto lenses I simply use outdoor targets with good detail, contrast and lighting at near infinity distances.

Here is an older write up more specific to using the EOS Utility Software for tethering the camera to utilize the larger resolution LCD of the laptop to optimally view the adjustment at high resolution and use the laptop to control the camera micro adjust settings.

http://arihazeghiphotography.com/MA-web/

Mike K

Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow