Will good glass make my EPL1 images brilliant like an OMD-e5 or should i just buy the OMD

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 17,596Gear list
Like?
Experiment or analyse.
In reply to kangaroo in oz, Feb 10, 2013

kangaroo in oz wrote:

Thanks again all for your input.. Which lens out of the 20mm lumix and the 45mm m zuiko would you recommend i buy for an everyday walkaround lens which would also be decent in low light, available light at night etc? i noticed both of these lenses are f 1.8

General purpose walk-around lenses fall more in the 14mm to 25mm area for M4/3, so my answer is get the Pana 20/1.7, or Oly 17/1.8 or Sigma 19/2.8 as the first prime. The 45mm is basically a short tele lens and will have you backing up through the walls in many interior shots.

Of course it all depends on what you need to shoot. Walk around for a day or two using your zoom lens set only at 20mm or 45mm and see what happens.

Or use a tool like ExposurePlot to find what focal lengths you favour in, say, the last year's shots. Usually the results show that you use both ends of a zoom most heavily without even realising it, the analysis result would most likely lead you to buying both the 14mm and 45mm lenses whereas the 17/19/20mm lens would be maybe more suitable to start.

In my case the first dedicated M4/3 prime being the Sigma 19/2.8 because it was cheap and on the shelf (Digidirect in Sydney), the Oly 17/1.8 was too expensive, and the Pana 20/1.7 was not going to arrive before my holiday.

I way prefer zooms though because of ease of use and flexibility of operation and lessens the need for lens changes which often leads to missing the moment.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow