Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 32,305
Like?
Re: COME ONNNNNNNN NIKON!
In reply to malch, Feb 10, 2013

malch wrote:

WD wrote:

I agree 100%. I'm convinced, the reason we haven't seen a D400 or new DX lenses is that Nikon is directing their energy, research and development in the mirrorless direction. The V1 is a working test-bed from which the DX mirrorless system will evolve.

It's going to be a tough road for Nikon.

We all know that Nikon have significant expertise in sensors, optics, AF systems etc.

But that's not going to be the battleground. The market is buying user interface, and integration with networks, computers, other hardware and applications. These are areas where Nikon has shown itself to be less than excellent or innovative.

In many ways, it started with the iPhone. But now look at the way Sony are starting to adopt those ideas into offerings like the NEX. WiFi, in-camera apps for all kinds of stuff including bracketing, HDR, panos, time lapse, social networking and more. Personally, I think Sony's implementation is still a little rough but they "get it" and will refine the details over time.

Nikon are going to have to completely reinvent themselves if they are to produce a NEX smasher in the next year or two (which is what they need to do). I just can't see it happening.

Spot on. I think Nikon has the most difficulty working this into their culture. Every Nikon wireless interface seems crude and hacked up compared with what the competition is doing, or indeed what they could do quite simply.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow