VT
VT
Regular MemberPosts: 454
Like?
7" Android Tablet computer
Feb 10, 2013

This thread:

Ordered cheap 'n cheery 7" tablet for mobile photo viewing

got me started to look at cheap Android tablet computers.

I know the Google Nexus 7 is the target standard - 16GB WiFi only version can be had for $199 shipped from the Google Store, and the 32GB @ $249 - the only drawback I can see is the Nexus 7 does not accept microSDHC card expansion - so probably the 32GB would be the smarter choice - but an extra $50 for 16GB is almost 4X the price of a 16GB microSDHC class 10 card!

Out of interest I looked at cheap 7" Android tablets - just to see what was out there.

First there were the really cheap ones with 800x480 screens and single core CPUs 512MB RAM and 4-8GB flash (but most of these will take microSDHC (TF) expansion up to additional 32GB) these with shopping were mostly <$80

BUT for photo type usage one ought to consider 1024x600 screens perhaps 1GB RAM and perhaps even dual core CPU

For web surfing WiFi 802.11 b/g/n -"n" is very fast and therefore very desirable - fortunately most cheap tablet will support "n" - but there are always exceptions - so "g" is a minimum - I have come across one tablet that only offered "b" - I even wrote to check it was not a mistake - it wasn't.......

Discovered some of the newer models had IPS screens - obviously far superior for photos than the usual cheap TN - the two notable models were:

Ainol Novo 7 Crystal

Cube U9GT4

both have dual core processors 1GB RAM and more to the point Android 4.1, and prices only around $100 shipped - now we're talking! The Ainol is pretty well known and popular new introduction - the Cube seems nicer in that it has an aluminum body - but it may have a fatal flaw in not having HDMI - for now these are probably the cheapest 7" Android 4.1 tablets that use 1024x600 IPS screens, I have found.

Then I got a little more ambitious and looked to see how much 1280x800 IPS screen version were - still restricting myself to 7" models and Android 4.1 - and I found much to my surprise -

Ainol Novo 7 Venus

Cube U21GT (4.1)

Ainol Venus has a quad core processor at 1.6GHz - 1GB RAM 16GB flash can be found for as low as $134 shipped (note: there is a Venus Lite - which uses a slightly slower quad core processor - but it is hardly any cheaper)

Cube U21GT is only a dual core processor @ 1.6GHz - 1GB RAM 16GB flash - it has the more attractive aluminum body and does have HDMI this time, low priced at about $122 shipped - CAUTION there are Android 4.0 versions out there.

I'd be grateful for any input, or experiences regarding the quality of these models and any other models worth considering.

Thanks

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow