Focus Peaking - Is it at least theoretically possible with a firmware update?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
Re: Focus Peaking - Is it at least theoretically possible with a firmware update?
In reply to Shawn67, Feb 10, 2013

Shawn67 wrote:

"I'm not sure the processor is powerful enough."

It should be, it can overlay various film emulations in real time. Focus peaking is basically just an edge enhancement to the area it has determine has the most contrast which it already does for AF. The Pentax Q gained focus peaking through software, hard to think that the Fuji has a less processor powerful than the Q. And peaking is likely harder in the Q as it has a greater DOF and therefor has smaller contrast changes due to focus.

This is fair and if true only further enhances my belief that Fuji doesn't want to do it.

"Focus peaking would mainly serve adapted lenses, which means losing lens sale to other companies."

Not sure I understand your reasoning here? If someone is looking at picking up a mirrorless system to use with adapted lenses than not having focus peaking is a strike against Fuji when compared to competitors that have peaking. Even more so when the Fuji system is at a native lens disadvantage compared to other systems.

Shawn

Fuji do not sell many bodies, unlike Sony they have to buy components, so they're more interested in making money through lenses. I'm guessing they don't like the idea of you using non-Fuji lenses. I can't use my Biogon 25 because it sucks on the Xpro1 sensor. Maybe it's intentional, maybe not, but it has successfully forced me to wait for the 23/1.4.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow