Am I crazy? Considering selling my RX100 and getting a Panasonic LX7 or Canon G15.

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
tedandtricia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085Gear list
Like?
Re: OT: m4/3 for kids
In reply to Markr041, Feb 10, 2013

Markr041 wrote:

You will not be able to use the f1.4 lens wide open and hope to shoot active kids using a big-sensor camera. The DOF is just too shallow; you will have a hard time getting a whole kid in focus or, closer up, a whole face. Small-sensor cameras have an advantage for any active subjects in having wider DOF for the same aperture. I have the f1.4 lens and a GH2 as well as the LX7. The GH2 and that lens takes a great shot of a very still subject wide open, carefully composed so that what is inessential is OOF. For kids running around, forget it (leaving aside the slower focus).

I am under the impression, too, that with siblings, you need a lot of DOF, so although I was talking about that Leica f/1.4 lens, it was mainly with IQ in mind and possibly AF speed. I haven't sat down and tried to figure out if I run a lens at f/2.8 or f/4 on m4/3 or APS-C (have to figure out the crop factor effects too), what ISO I will end up at. But that's what this all seems to come down to. Stopped down lens for wider DOF to capture two siblings in focus, large sensor camera to have high ISO (1600, 2000 or so) that is acceptable, running at a 1/125 shutter speed to freeze motion, fast AF.

tedandtricia's gear list:tedandtricia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow