Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
andrbar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,951Gear list
Like?
Re: The P7100 goes hiking
In reply to toomanycanons, Feb 10, 2013

toomanycanons wrote:

andrbar wrote:

I found too that AF works strangely as soon as you don't use "auto".

Fortunately, "auto" works fine.

Nice pictures. Did you get that very shallow DOF by using some gaussian blur on the background in post, or is it SOOC ?

-
André
http://a.barelier.free.fr/

In your first sentence are you referring to "Auto" shooting mode? Or "Auto" focusing mode?

I was refering to auto focusing mode. I never use auto shooting mode.

The blur is just as if I was using a DSLR. Low aperture and close up. The two pics of the barbed wire strand show me moving my focus point manually (just like on my DSLRs!) and focusing on different areas of the wire. The close up of the "barb" is using "Close up" in "Scene Modes". I could not lock focus on any part of that wire using Auto Focus or spot or center weighted, it had to be "Close Up". Or the "Manual Focus Point" mode, that could lock focus otherwise I couldn't have gotten the two of the wire.

Nice effect. But You don't need to use scene mode. This special mode uses auto iso, and jpeg only. AFAIK, you cannot disable either.

You could as well do the following:

1/ press the back control wheel down, to choose "macro"

2/ press the back control wheel right, and choose "manual" focus.

This allows you to use raw if you want, and to adjust iso to your needs. And you can move the focus point wherever you want with the back control wheel.

Andre, about my question on how to set the P7100 to focus strictly on infinity. On my old Canon point and shoots there was indeed a setting called "Infinity" that did just that. IOW, I could set those point and shoots on "Infinity", the geese fly overhead (they come in fast where I live) I aim and it's already focused on infinity, i.e. the geese are in focus since infinity was only about 20 feet out and farther.

How do you do that on the P7100 other than holding down the shutter halfway to infinity then waiting for the geese to come overhead, draining your battery big time? Choosing "Mountain" on the drop down menu when you push the bottom of the round toggle on back or even choosing "Landscape" in "Scene Modes" doesn't do it.

I've not tried that yet. It's night time here now. I'll try tomorrow, and let you know.

But I suspect that whatever mode you're in, the camera still activates its AF motor, even if you've set it to infinity, and if you've chose permanent AF (not sure that's the right traduction).

The P7100 takes such great pictures I'm constantly frustrated that I can't make it do what my DSLRs can. I don't feel like I have complete control over it, it just won't let me. It's almost a relief when I have my D5000 with me!

It takes some time to get used to its features, but there are some limitations that we can't overcome.

-- hide signature --
 andrbar's gear list:andrbar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow