Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,615Gear list
Like?
Re: Using American 110V studio-lights in 230V setting
In reply to seconds away, Feb 10, 2013

seconds away wrote:

Malcolm Turner wrote:

What i always do when travelling is take an adaptor and a 4-way gang board. So the adaptor goes into the foreign socket, and I then have 4 of my "own" sockets available to plug in chargers, laptop etc.

Sound advice, but that will only work if the voltages are the same or if the power supply of the device can handle multiple voltages, not the case in this instance though.

As a 'gang board' is totally passive why should it matter whether you plug your kit into that or directly to the wall via a single-plug adapter?

If you have a device that requires a voltage change then a simple adapter won't handle that anyway. Most modern electronic kit is multi-voltage in the 100-240v range.

For tungsten lighting my vote goes for using 'local' lamps, assuming that they are available for your lights. It's not always easy to find a supplier of the more obscure lamps.

And yes, I have used 110 volt systems on 230v mains.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow