Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 782
Like?
6D autofocus is a revolution
Feb 10, 2013

I was out in the garden taking photos , it was a dismal day, and the birds weren't cooperative. Still the low-light performace and especially autofocus was amazing. Luckily the squirrels were happy to pose:

Squirrel at ISO 5000, doesn't look very noisy to me.

ISO12800

The above photo isn't special, but the autofocus was. It didn't focus on the tree like my 40D invariably did, well to be honest the 40D wouldn't focus at all in this poor light. 

ISO 2500

Heres something I going to have to learn on FF, the depth of focus is so shallow that the squirrels face is out of focus.

This Great tit is a poor shot, but I included it to show what the amazing autofocus of the 6D can do

this is at ISO6400, with the 400/5.6 and 2X teleconverter, and it still did autofocus! Not even

the twigs in front of the bird stopped it. The 40D could never do that.

This ones a little better, it's the 400/5.6 and 1.4 TC , like I usually use, this combination focuses really fast with little dithering on the 6D. It's what I'll be using , but it's nice to know the 2X TC actually works too.

For me the autofocus capabilty of this camera is revolutionary, with the poor light we often have up here in the frozen North, the low light autofocus and image quality of the 6D is much more valuable than 63 focus points or 8fps, not that I wouldn't like that too, but I can't afford a 5D3, and the 7D isn't full frame. And the lighter weight of the 6D is going to be a boon on long hikes.

/Neil

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow