X-E1 vs. 5D MKIII non-scientific comparison...

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
bensherman
Regular MemberPosts: 271Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 vs. 5D MKIII non-scientific comparison...
In reply to TomJ, Feb 10, 2013

TomJ wrote:

While on a commercial job last week, I decided to take along my new-ish Fuji X-E1 and take a few casual comparison shots alongside my Canon 5D MKIII camera that was actually being used for the job. This is a very non-scientific comparison! Images were not ever intended to be exactly matching side by side tests. I simply was curious about how well the X-E1 files would compare with the Canon's and snapped a few shots with it for fun.

Okay, here are some details about these two shots. The 5DMKIII was on a tripod and I used a Canon 24mm L T/S lens. The X-E1 was hand-held in approximately the same position as the 5DMKIII although I did not take the 5D off the tripod so actually the X-E1 was slightly above and to the side of the tripod. I was using the Fuji 18-55mm zoom lens on the X-E1 at 18mm which, of course, is not as wide as the 24mm lens on a full frame sensor so there is an additional framing difference due to this.

In the fading light of day, the Canon was manually set to ISO 800 and the Fuji I had set to auto ISO with 800 as the upper limit. The X-E1 chose ISO 640 for the shot which is a third stop less than the Canon. Since I was hand-holding the X-E1 I also made sure the shutter speed was faster than with the tripod-mounted 5D MKIII which resulted in a wider aperture being used for the X-E1.

I processed both images in LR 4.3 to suit my taste and for delivery to the client. While I tried to get the two files to "match up" color-wise, the settings used for each image within the Develop Module of LR were quite different as expected.

For those interested, the X-E1 had no problems or delays in focusing in this low light environment well after sunset. I think the areas of bright artificial light provided ample contrast so I would not expect an issue here. The 5D MKIII, however, was manually focused by me (as all T/S lenses are manual focus) and it took me a fair bit of time to get it right!

I suppose the take-away from this informal comparison is that the little X-E1 can pretty well hold it's own to much more expensive full frame camera/lens combinations including full frame models. The little X-E1 and X-trans sensor continues to impress.

Hope some will find some value in this, and if you have questions, ask away.

TomJ

X-E1 Image

5D MK III Image

Better hues, tonal gradation, highlights and shadow detail in the Fuji... 
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow