If People want a Pentax FF so bad.. Go buy a 645d ??

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,811Gear list
Like?
Any reason is a good reason to stay with Pentax FF, as far as Pentax is concerned
In reply to someuy, Feb 10, 2013

someuy wrote:

James O'Neill wrote:

2. How many FA lenses do we think are really going to be good enough for FF digital ?

I've got a small collection of M and K lenses I'd love to use on a full frame camera, but I don't think any of them can really compete with a modern lens.

I think a lot of the folks clamoring for FF will be disappointed if they are expecting to mount a 30 year old lens on a $1500 (in their dreams) body and start producing images equal to a pro D800 setup. And when it doesn't, the howls of anguish will fill the halls of the Pentax forum.

Maybe... but don't give up hope, it depends on the lens. I've owned several Ms and Ks that would perform very well on a FF body, or at least as good as my Nikon equivalents. My M 85 f2 is probably better than my Nikon 85 f/1.8 AF-D, and my M 20 f4 might have been better than my Nikon 20 f/2.8 AF-d (but a stop slower.)

The majority of M & K Pentax primes are going to resolve enough to thrill you, sometimes even at high aperture. They should all have good-enough coatings also, because SMC has been very good for a long time - something some of the older Nikkors and Canons can't claim. The rear element won't be coated, but that's not a huge issue in most cases, IMO.

I don't know if any of the old MF zooms will be up to snuff... But a few might be.

Anyway, Pentax would want folks to buy new lenses, but they also would want people to just find a reason to buy that initial FF Pentax body, and if "I want to use it to shoot my Ms" is the excuse, that's as good as any. They want to get you in the door, keep you in the room, because they'll probably count on you breaking open your piggy bank a little while after you bought that FF K1D and ordering that new FA 135 f/2.5 Limited. And others, as FF LBA really takes hold...

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow