Wide lens of choice?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 16,928Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide lens of choice?
In reply to Dylthedog, Feb 10, 2013

Dylthedog wrote:

I've got an E-PL5 with a Panny 20mm, Oly 45mm and the kit lens (plus some longer Oly and Panny options) but I'd quite like higher quality wide option. The Panny 20mm is pretty much welded to the camera and right now I use the kit if I want wider, but clearly that's not going to deliver the best quality.

I looked on Photozone and while the Oly 12mm review is good the actual samples left me quite underwhelmed; they didn't seem that much better than the Oly 9-18mm. I've ruled out the Panny 14mm as it's small (which is good) but no better than the kit lens as far as I can see. Compact is important to me so that is a shame TBH. The Panny 7-14mm is a bit more than I want to pay right now, though I hear it's very good.

So my question to DPR people is how have you found the 12mm f2? Are the Photozone samples representative or not? Anyone got the and the 9-18mm - if so, what's your view?

Thanks!

Your starting point appears to be that you expect the 12/2 to be significantly better optically than the UWA zooms when shot at the same aperture. I wouldn't expect that to be the case.

Both the 12/2 and the 14/2.5 are lenses you should buy for their greater speed and small size. Both might also have some advantages over the UWA zooms when it comes to flare.

On the WA side, I have the 7-14/4, the 14-45/3.5-5.6, the 12/2, the 14/2.5 (though it's about to be sold since it's too close to the 12/2 for me to carry both), and the Samyang 7.5/3.5 FE. The 14-45, the 7-14, and the 7.5 FE are likely to be in my bag most of the time. The 12/2 is likely to be there only if I foresee a need for best low-light capability, in which case it will do a good job.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow