Wide lens of choice?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,264
Like?
Re: This is wrong
In reply to Dylthedog, Feb 10, 2013

Dylthedog wrote:

This is just as was said in the other thread about prime-only shooters with snobby attitudes:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50822454

I am very good at pixel peeping, and I can't tell that the Panasonic 14mm prime has any better image quality than the kit lens that comes with the E-PL5. In fact, just the opposite, I think the kit lens has better image quality because there are less chromatic aberration correction artifacts in the corners of the image.

While certainly there are lenses that go wider than the kit lens, they don't all produce better image quality.

I'm not sure what is wrong exactly - I think that you're agreeing that the 14mm is no better than the kit lenses.

I haven't looked at what the 'snobby' prime shooters said yet but will check it out later

Well, you said the following:

"The Panny 20mm is pretty much welded to the camera and right now I use the kit if I want wider, but clearly that's not going to deliver the best quality."

And actually, I think the kit WILL deliver the best quality you are going to get at 14mm. However, if you want to spend a lot of money, the 12mm f/2.0 lens has the absolute best image quality you are going to get at that focal length.

Image quality on the 9-18mm is inferior to the kit lens..

Image quality on the 7-14mm is a mixed bag. Sharpness is there, but there's also a lot of CA and flare issues (and the flare looks purple on E-M5, maybe consider getting a cheap G3 body to go with it, or whatever Panasonic is on sale really cheap). But overall, your best choice in m43 if you want to go REALLY wide.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow